Just recently got hold of a new film camera; the Sony PXW-FS5 XDCAM Super 35, that comes together with an 18-105mm lens which is perfect for cinematographers like myself on the lookout for cameras that can get us into tight spaces and allow us to be as flexible as we want to be in capturing the best shots.
Can’t wait to start getting busy with our next projects to get this bad boy to work! We’ll be doing a lifestyle shoot tomorrow along the beautiful beaches of the Gold Coast – perfect opportunity to put this new camera to the test!
Will keep you guys on the loop on how it all goes; but for now, below are some useful information about the Sony PXW-FS5 XDCAM Super 35 in case you’re considering getting one for your filmmaking arsenal too.
Release date: November 2016 (Australia)
Top features and benefits:
- Lightweight handheld camera, weighing at only 0.8kg that you can place with ease against your chest, with all the controls at your fingertips;
- With a well-balanced chassis, it makes shooting from high to low angles a breeze (thanks to a flexible, rotatable grip, and a LCD viewfinder that can be mounted in 9 different locations);
- Ideal for aerial shots by drone due to its lightweight factor;
- While compatible with Sony’s E-mount and A-mount lenses, it can also take cinema and SLR lenses with a 3rd party adaptor;
- Supports Wi-Fi and NFC functionality, allowing for live streaming from the camera, or control from a wireless device;
- The 4K Super 35 EXMOR sensor features approximately 14 stops of latitude and a wide color gamut. It offers a choice of AVCHD and XAVC codecs, which can be used for 4k and HD recording.
- Maximum aperture is a constant F4 from 18mm to 105mm, with excellent resolution and contrast throughout.
- It delivers a stunning 240 frames per second (fps) in Full HD XAVC 10bit 4:2:2.